How to correctly set up an Amazon product listing is one of the main questions we get from our clients and certainly one of the most “talked about” questions on the various Amazon Facebook groups we subscribe to. And for good reason.
No doubt you have seen an Amazon Product Listing that clearly doesn’t comply with the Guidelines provided by Amazon Seller Central. Listings with “Fall Sale” in the title was one I recently came across. And one that seems to be most prevalent is an image that contains text.
The way you present your products influences a customer’s decision to buy your product on Amazon so the goal is to provide clear and concise product information in a consistent format to attract customers to your products. Here are the latest Amazon Product Listing Guidelines. Always check with Amazon Seller Central for the latest Guidelines.
Amazon Product Title
- Capitalize the first letter of each word.
- Do not capitalize conjunctions (and, or, for), articles (the, a, an), or prepositions with fewer than five letters (in, on, over, with).
- Use numerals (2 instead of two).
- State the number of items in a bundled product (pack of 10).
- Keep it under 200 characters, but make sure to include critical information.
- Use only standard text, since special characters or symbols like © will not display in the title.
- Do not include price and quantity.
- Do not use ALL CAPS.
- Do not include information about yourself or your company. If you own the brand, put your brand information in the brand field.
- Do not include promotional messages, such as “sale” or “free ship.”
- Use your seller name as the Brand or Manufacturer only if your product is Private Label.
- Do not include subjective commentary, such as “Hot Item,” or “Best Seller.”
Key Features – Bullet Points
- Highlight the top five features that you want customers to consider. For example:
- Age appropriateness
- Country of origin
- Warranty information
- Begin each bullet point with a capital letter
- Write in fragments and do not include ending punctuation
- Write all numbers as numerals
- Separate phrases in one bullet with semicolons
- Spell out measurements, such as quart, inch, or feet
- Do not use hyphens, symbols, periods, or exclamation points
- Do not write vague statements; be as specific as possible with product features and attributes
- Do not enter company-specific information; this section is for product features only
- Do not include promotional and pricing information
- Do not include shipping or company information. Amazon policy prohibits including seller, company, or shipping information
- Describe the major product features, such as size, style, and what the product can be used for
- Include accurate dimensions, care instructions, and warranty information
- Use correct grammar, punctuation, and complete sentences
- Do not include any of the following types of information:
- Seller name
- E-mail address
- Website URL
- Company-specific information
- Details about another product that you sell
- Promotional language such as “SALE” or “free shipping”
- A unique and identifiable, symbol, association, name or trademark which serves to differentiate competing products or services
- A name used to distinguish one product from its competitors that can apply to a single product, an entire product line, or a company
- A name or symbol used to identify a seller’s goods or services, and to differentiate them from those of competitors Example: Sonicare
- A business engaged in manufacturing a product
- Anyone who manufactures a product Example: Phillips
- Note: Do not use your seller name as the Brand or Manufacturer, unless your product is Private Label.
The best product images will:
- Have a pure white backgrounds
- Have at least 1,000 dpi, so that it won’t turn fuzzy when customers zoom in on your image
- Show the entire product, and have the product occupy at least 80 percent of the image area
- Include only what the customer will receive
If you image includes any of the following elements, you may receive a quality alert on your listing:
- Borders, watermarks, text, or other decorations
- Colored backgrounds or lifestyle pictures
- Drawings or sketches of the product
- Accessories or additional products not included in the offer
- Image placeholders, such as “no image available” text. Amazon will provide a placeholder if you do not have an image for your product.
- Promotional text, such as “SALE” or “free shipping”
- Multiple colors of the same product